Travel and Transportation
Getting Around Key Largo and Recommendations
- Arriving on-time is extremely important. Please arrive no later than the time noted on your reservation to check-in at the upstairs office. This allows our Captains to give a mandatory safety briefing, gives you time to properly set up your gear, and respects other paying passengers who have arrived on time and are anxious to dive. THE BOAT WILL NOT WAIT FOR LATE ARRIVALS.
- If you’re flying, most major airlines serve Miami and Fort Lauderdale International Airports. No passport required!
- Driving from Miami is about a 1.5-hour drive and from Fort Lauderdale is about 2 hours. Traffic can get thick around rush hour so do plan accordingly. Taking the turnpike from FLL airport can save a substantial amount of time. We’re located off US 1 just south of Mile Marker 100. Turn south on Laguna Drive just before Divers Direct then another left on Caribbean Drive. We’re located past Skipper’s and Marina Del Mar Hotel. We have plenty of FREE on-site parking!
- Shuttles are an easy way to get to the Florida Keys. You can call Keys Shuttle 305-289-9997 to make direct reservations or visit www.keysshuttle.com. Shared rides from Miami International airport run about $48 round-trip and $56 round-trip from Fort Lauderdale International airport. Keys Shuttle is the only shuttle carrier that serves the Florida Keys, so they know their way around town. Groups can save with private one-way shuttles ranging from $275 – $375 varying on the airport.
- Uber is now available in Monroe County. One-way runs approximately $70 from Miami International Airport and $100 from Ft Lauderdale International Airport. Currently, only a few local drivers remain in Key Largo so check your app for availability.
We’re lucky to have 4 choices of accommodations nearby, 3 of which are walking distance to the dive shop & boats. When diving with us you’ll have access to special discounted rates! Look for your discounted hotel link in your booking confirmation email.
Marina Del Mar – located next door
Holiday Inn – walking distance on the canal
Courtyard Marriott – walking distance on the canal
Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort – located Bayside 4 miles up Overseas Hwy. Our sister dive shop is located here (MM 103.8)
There is only one main road in the Keys, the Overseas Hwy (US Hwy 1). Locals refer to locations by referencing their Mile Marker along Overseas Hwy. MM 0 is Key West and the Jew Fish Creek Bridge on the north end of Key Largo is MM 107 where the Keys begin. Ocean Divers and Divers Direct are at MM 100. Ocean Divers Bayside is at the Marriott Bay Beach Key Largo at MM 103.8. It is advisable to have a car if you want to experience anything away from your resort. There are convenient, wide bike paths along US 1 throughout the Keys, so bike riding is a great way to get around and get in shape! There are a couple of Uber drivers, but availability is limited at this time.
What else is there to do nearby?
- Ocean Divers Bayside: Eco-tours, Sunset Cruises, kayaking, paddleboarding, parasailing, waverunners and more. (MM 103.8)
- Coral Restoration Foundation: Schedule an educational seminar and learn all about the restoration and coral nursery projects (MM 99.5)
- Divers Direct: Gear up for vacation at the largest and friendliest dive shop in the Keys. (MM 100)
- Dolphins Plus allows you to spend some time interacting with dolphins in a natural lagoon. (MM 101.9) History of Diving Museum: (MM 83 in Islamorada)
- Theater of the Sea in Islamorada: This is a great day activity for families with dolphins, sea lions, turtles, sharks, and ray encounters. (MM 84.7 in Islamorada)
- Turtle Hospital: If you have some extra time and a vehicle, making a road trip to Marathon to visit the Turtle Hospital is a very cool and educational experience. (MM 48.5 in Marathon)
Casual Restaurants & Happy Hours
Our local team recommends:
Sharkey’s (MM100 in same building as Ocean Divers)
Skippers Dockside (MM100 just a block away from Ocean Divers)
Breezers Tiki Bar at the Marriott (MM 103.8)
Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen (MM 99.5)
Snapper’s (MM 94.5)
Sunsets: Snook’s Bayside (MM100), Bayside Grill (MM 100), Sundowners (MM104), Breezers at Marriott MM 103.8, Lorelei ( MM 82 in Islamorada)